Monday, October 19, 2009

No More Mr. Nice Mr. McAlister

On Thursday I went all crazy on my 4th period kids. I implemented a new seating chart and gave out a lot more demerits. It worked brilliantly well and the kids were more silent than they'd ever been before.

Today was even better. That class, ordinarily my worst, was by far my best. The students were mostly silent and well-behaved. Silent reading time was a dream - better than it's been in any class, ever. And, oddly, the kids didn't seem as pissed off at me today as they were on Thursday. There was still some grumbling about the seating chart, but the kids seemed to appreciate the structure. Of course, this might have been an illusion, or maybe we were just having a good day.

Tomorrow I'm unveiling a seating chart in every class. I'm also going to be really strict, especially on my freshmen. They've been getting by far too easy so far. My intent is to scare the crap out of them and cripple them with demerits if I have to. I just can't afford to keep losing the battle of classroom management. It's wasting everyone's time an costing me far too much energy.

1 comment:

  1. if that doesnt work just tell them you have a piece...haha

    ReplyDelete